With the Columbia Gorge National Scenic Area at its core, our region offers one of the most unique settings in the nation. Our scenic grandeur is federally-protected while allowing our local economies to grow and thrive. Indoor and Outdoor activities abound on our drier-side of the Cascades “Where the Sun Greets the Rain“. We invite you to come, “Discover Your Adventure“.
We are graced with towering mountains to climb, deep forests to explore, lush valleys to meander, ancient flood-carved cliffs to scale, lava beds to discover, caves to scout, and sandy beaches along the famous Columbia River to sink your toes into. Gorgeous wheat fields grace our county to the North and East, with spectacular viewpoints everywhere to stop and take it all in. Our many driving loops and hikes provide opportunities to see the vast changes in environment and terrain. Outdoor activities from the Xtreme to the sublime are nearly endless. We invite you to experience and enjoy:
- World-class kayaking, rafting, windsurfing, kite boarding, sailing, and even swimming on the mighty Columbia River and the many pristine Wild and Free rivers feeding into it from spectacular snow-clad Mt Adams and Mt Hood,
- Great rod/reel and fly fishing for a wide variety of native species as well as regular incredible runs of salmon and steelhead returning to spawn,
- Downhill, Nordic and backcountry skiing, snowboarding, sledding, and snowshoeing on some of the most gorgeous scenic mountains on the planet,
- Road and trail biking on innumerable quiet and scenic roads to Xtreme trails throughout the Gorge,
- Hiking, climbing, even horseback riding through lush meadows, open and wooded slopes, and challenging mountain routes,
And if you’d rather just take it easy there’s an incredible view around every corner and from every window, with delectable food, award-winning beverages, comfortable surroundings to help you relax.